We need a staff writer – part time
Write about what you love. Network within the industry. Work independently, and get paid to do it!
Since 2007, ModernAustin.com has been featuring architecture and design in Central Texas. We have organically built a large and engaged following, and we want to better serve our readers with expanded stories, more interviews, and more discussion.
This is a paid opportunity for a passionate writer to feature local designers, interview architects, identify homes for sale, and generally “spread the gospel” about the virtues of good design.
- An authentic “voice” with at least two years of experience in a design or architecture field.
- Conversational familiarity with Austin’s architectural history
- Conversational familiarity with leading furniture design houses
- Believe in new-urbanist principals
- High familiarity with Austin neighborhoods is needed to comment on architectural context
- Willingness to use personal social media platforms to share content;
- Willingness to take editorial positions when appropriate, while being able to balance other reasonable perspectives;
- Willingness to receive and implement editorial feedback from Publisher
- Proficiency with WordPress
Preferences (not required):
- Architecture experience
- Interior design experience
- Photography experience
- Large social following
- Multimedia creation
- Your voice should be passionate and authentic. If you live and work in the suburbs, then this role is not likely to be a good fit.
- You’ll be expected to attend local events related to design & architecture (property tours, lectures, meetups, etc);
- It should go without saying that the ideal candidate will be a strong writer who is able to find interesting and relevant content to write about on a regular basis.
- This is not a “social media manager” position; however, you should appreciate the importance of Facebook and Twitter, and be willing to share on those platforms.
- We strive for journalistic ideals, but this is a discussion blog, and when it makes sense to do so we will be advocates and take positions. The ideal candidate understands that balance.
- Minimum of *two* postings per week;
- Minimum of one industry interview per month;
- One weekly newsletter covering the prior week’s news (you’ll assemble content and draft commentary);
- Engage with and moderate comment section;
- Co-manage our Facebook and Twitter feeds;
- Co-manage editorial calendar with Publisher
Inquire below. Negotiable.
To Apply Use The Form Below ☟
- Link to resume required
- Links to writing samples and/or twitter handle should be provided when applying. We are looking to see that you can connect with readers.
[contact-form to=’firstname.lastname@example.org’ subject=’ModernAustin.com – Staff Writer Application’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]